Rolfing® is a holistic comprehensive system of connective tissue manipulation and movement education developed by biochemist and physiologist Dr. Ida Rolf.
Rolfing involves gentle and intentional touch, reaching into the body to release the bound muscles and fascia. According to Dr. Rolf, the deep fascia and muscles of the body often bind together, creating chronic pain, postural problems, and a lesser range of motion. During a Rolfing treatment, the body learns to support and align itself in a natural way, always moving towards a place of dynamic balance and health. The results can be the following:
● Enhanced posture and freedom of movement
● Deeper and fuller breath
● Resolving discomfort and pain in the body
● More vitality and energy
The body functions on all levels (nervous system, breathing, circulation, and digestion) better.
Many people can benefit from Rolfing.
- People with injuries and chronic pain:
- Alleviating pain
- Self-care exercises: learning how to move consciously to support the rehabilitation process
- People with physically demanding work: (nurses, childcare workers, construction workers)
- Creating a body that is resilient to injury: building intrinsic strength, flexibility and vitality
- Learning movement patterns that support your body, diminishing risks for lesions
- Business professionals:
- Rebalancing your body to function on a higher level of efficiency: deeper and fuller breath, improved coordination, and increased concentration
- New ways to handle stress
- Children and adolescents:
- Rebalancing the body after injuries from falls or minor accidents
- Developing body awareness, supporting posture and attitude
- Practitioners of Yoga, Martial arts, etc.
- Releasing restrictions and stress patterns to enable you to move easily with full consciousness and intent
- Integrating and aligning your body, in order to deepen your bodily transformation
- Increasing athletic performance alignment, coordination, flexibility, balance of muscle-tone, expressive power and overall sense of relaxation, both on stage and daily life
- Performance enhancement: releasing tension and improving your relationship with your instrument
- Pain reduction (pain, shoulders, neck, etc.)
- Singers, Actors
- Learning how to connect with your core self, and evoke a performance that goes beyond performing
- Working on stage presence, and range of expression
- People who lead a meditative or spiritual path:
- Increasing awareness of your body to facilitate deeper levels of consciousness and deepen your practice
- Increasing performance, intrinsic strength, more flexibility and concentration
- Personal trainers and instructors in fitness centres:
- Learn how you can add another dimension to the work-out that you have organized
- Acquire tools from a Rolfing Perspective to give specific instructions to your clients in class
At the beginning of a Rolfing treatment, the practitioner will ask briefly about the medical history of the client. In each session, an analysis is made of the structure of the body and the range of movement while the client is standing, sitting or walking.
A complete Rolfing treatment consists of 10 sessions, all carefully sequenced, with different themes, treating different parts of the body. It is also possible to follow sessions separately, and work with a specific theme or problem.
The length of a Rolfing session is 1 hour. The costs are 75 euros per session.